If you have a spare weekend coming up, why not consider one of these easy projects to upgrade your home ‒ then sit back and enjoy the rest of 2023. With these handy upgrades, it’s just a case of heading to Kmart, Ikea or another local supplier and picking up what you need; you can complete the entire project in just one weekend.
1. Storage headboard
In a small bedroom, you have to be smart when it comes to storage solutions. That’s why a storage headboard on your bed is such a clever idea. It can easily accommodate all those bits and pieces that would otherwise clutter up the space, especially if you don’t have room for side tables.
A headboard that doubles as a storage unit is the ultimate solution to declutter your bedroom space. After all, you have to put your bed up against the wall anyway and a storage headboard doesn’t take up much space.
You can be as creative as you want with your headboard. Obviously, some shelves above the head of your bed are ideal for storing books and phone chargers. However, why not get super creative and use the sides of the headboard to create some long slimline cupboards where you can store all those other bits and pieces?
Or you could incorporate a hinged top you can lift with a shelf underneath to store everything out of sight. It’s also a good idea to fix your headboard to the wall to keep it nice and secure.
2. Clever storage solutions
Let’s face it. You can never have too much storage and if you’re running out of space, why not consider some of these smart storage solutions that are easy to create?
- Create a flip-down desk. This is such a simple idea and can be attached to any available wall space. All you need is a slimline bookshelf to which you attach a fold-down desk area where you can work. Make sure the hinges for the fold-down desk are heavy-duty.
- Keep your drawers tidy with inserts. If you head to Kmart, you can find a huge variety of small baskets that will easily fit inside your larger drawers. Take some measurements of the drawer sizes before you head out shopping.
- An easy way to keep your grocery list and favourite recipes in one spot is to attach some plastic pockets to the inside door of your pantry. You can use double-sided tape for these and they won’t take up a lot of space inside your pantry.
- Use over-the-door hangers. Once you start using over-the-door hangers, you’ll wonder how you ever did without them. They can be used on the bathroom door to hang your towels, on the back of your kid’s room door to hang bags, or even on the inside of your linen cupboard for hanging towels or tablecloths.
- Use a large basket or a couple of smaller ones to store your towels. If you have minimal linen storage, think about rolling your towels (